A couple of weeks ago B. asked for medicine. He was fine, he just wanted the chocolate payoff for swallowing amoxicillin. (Over Christmas we had to give him antibiotics three times a day and convinced him to swallow the pink liquid by plying him with M&Ms.) That's when it hit me like a bolt of lightning. I washed out a little glass bottle and filled it with fruit puree (Peter Rabbits Organics in mango, orange, banana), added a couple of drops of food dye and told him he could have a chocolate chip after his medicine. He tasted it, looked at me and said, 'Mom, this tastes like a fruit snack,' (it's been 6-8 months since he's had one so it's amazing he remembered) and kept on sucking.
Now he takes his "medicine" twice a day. Only, I've switched to calling it vitamins because I can just see running into problems at school when he tells his teachers that he's medicated every day. And while four teaspoons of fruit a day might not seem like much, that's a lot compared to zero.
The crazy thing is he doesn't seem to find the taste offensive, but he still refuses to eat the fruit pouches. So even though I feel a tiny bit guilty for being so sneaky, it takes one master manipulator to fool another. Game on, little dude.