Tuesday, November 8, 2011

can anything replace nutella?

Our "chocolate sandwich" obsession was getting out of control (that's what B. calls Nutella) so I hit Whole Foods this weekend to try and find a healthier alternative. Justin's Nut Butter looked interesting but not quite the right cocoa shade to pull a bait and switch. So I decided to try the Peanut Butter & Co.'s chocolate peanut butter. It tastes decent to me but it's got a really nutty flavor that B. just isn't digging. So I may end up caving and spread a small scrapping of Nutella on one side and dark chocolate peanut butter on the other as a compromise. Otherwise this kiddo's going to school hungry. (I bought whole grain toaster waffles this weekend which were immediately rejected. As for Cheerios and Fluffernutters, they've been abandoned.)
For now I'm trying to look on the bright side, which includes this creative consolation: If my kid were a caveman, he'd have a really long life expectancy since he'd never try anything new, including poisonous mushrooms or berries. Really, being picky is just a healthy defense mechanism.
UPDATE: Holy shiznit. I just tried Justin's chocolate hazelnut butter and it passed the I'd-shovel-this-out-of-the-jar-with-a-spoon test. Now I just have to convince the kid.

2 comments:

  1. You do realize he's the one supposed to be eating all this stuff, not you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah but I'd never make him eat anything I couldn't get down myself :)

    ReplyDelete