- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting the pan
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil (I ran out and had to use half a cup of olive oil to supplement but it worked out great)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can pumpkin or sweet potato purée
In one bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and spices. In another bowl beat the eggs, oil and sugar.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add the pumpkin (or sweet potato) and stir just until combined.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 mins. The original recipe called for 35 to 40 minutes but that was way too long for my oven.
I also made a cream cheese frosting but it didn't come out that well so I'm not even going to bother listing here.