Tuesday, July 26, 2011

a slight salad obsession

It's been pretty hot here. Nothing like the rest of the country but sunny enough that turning on the oven seems like a chore. Thank god for the barbecue and a ton of steaks and fish fillets my mom sent that we've got piled up in the freezer. And I'm obsessed with finding new salads to serve up with dinner. Tonight I made halibut wrapped in bacon (it was sitting in the freezer next to the fish, begging to be used) and then a diced mango/avocado salad tossed with lime juice, a little olive oil, cilantro and some diced red pepper. So fresh and yummy next to the smoky fish. My old standby is fresh corn shaved off the ear tossed with tomatoes but I'm trying to come up with some alternatives. Like this avocado salad I had on the Fourth of July. It was mixed with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and onions. Delicious. And the vinaigrette keeps the avocado from turning brown for hours. Almost goes without being said that B. won't touch any of this stuff but have actually turned the hubs on to veggies this summer. One out of two ain't bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment