Thursday, March 3, 2011

kale can't be escaped

OMG, kale chips are everywhere--every parenting blog, Food Network show and now last night's episode of Modern Family. OK universe, I get the message. Today we will make kale chips.
UPDATE: Never managed to get the kale. B. had a fullscale meltdown at Whole Foods so I couldn't get more than chicken and bananas. The only thing that got us through the checkout line was a sample of roast beef the deli guy gave B. And my picky little kid wolfed it down like it was the best thing he'd ever tasted.

Nine days later...just made kale chips. Not sure it was really worth the trouble but I'm glad I tried them. I was way too liberal with the sea salt and olive oil as that is essentially all I could taste (unless that's the point?). Pretty simple really. You preheat the oven to 350. Tear the leaves off the woody stems and toss them with about a tablespoon of olive oil and sea salt to taste, lay them out flat on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. If I ever make them again I would take them out a little early because I enjoy the less crispy bits but I think that's personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment