Monday, October 10, 2011

if i had a garden...

I would grow zucchini just so I could make this double chocolate zucchini bread I found online. OMG. So tasty but not even remotely healthy tasting which meant everyone in the house enjoyed it.

I used to hate when my mother fed us vegetables masquerading as dessert but, then again, I ate my vegetables. So while I'm troubled by the trickery and remain a chocolate purist at heart, some tough love is in order for the picky guys in this house. 

Anyway, I made just a few tweaks since I was using what I had in my pantry but it looks like Under the High Chair modified her recipe from Joy of Cooking so it all works out :)

Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup grated, raw zucchini (I used 2 medium size zucchinis)
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chopped up bakers chocolate, which is what I had) 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5x3″ loaf pan. Set aside.

Grate the zucchini using a medium sized grater. (I used a cheese grater.) Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.

In another bowl, beat the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla with a hand mixer until well blended. Fold in the grated zucchini. Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The original recipe suggested about 55-65 minutes. I found this way too long for my oven and pulled it at 45 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment